ISO 14001 standard has been revised!
All ISO standards are reviewed every five years to establish if a revision is required in order to keep it current and relevant for the marketplace. ISO 14001:2015 is designed to respond to latest trends and ensure it is compatible with other management system standards.
Key changes ISO 14001:2015
The key changes relate to:
- Increased prominence of environmental management within the organization's strategic planning processes
- Greater focus on leadership
- Addition of proactive initiatives to protect the environment from harm and degradation, such as sustainable resource use and climate change mitigation
- Improving environmental performance added
- Lifecycle thinking when considering environmental aspects
- Addition of a communications strategy
In addition, the revised standard follows a common structure, with the same terms and definitions as a number of other management system standards such as ISO 9001. This makes them easier, cheaper and quicker for those companies who use more than one.
Certification scheme ISO 14001:2015
SCCM has developed a certification scheme for environmental systems according to ISO 14001:2015. We have also made document which aims to simplify the transition to the new ISO 14001 standard for certified organizations. This document offers suggestions and examples of how to apply the new standard. Both documents can be downloaded below.